Creating Downloadable Products
- Go to: Products > Add Product to add a new Simple product as outlined in Adding and Managing Products.
- Tick the Downloadable checkbox.
- After ticking this box, other options appear: Downloadable Files, Download Limit, Download Expiry, Download Type.
- Select the Add file button, and then name the file. Enter the downloadable URL, or select the Choose file button to either insert an existing file from your Media Library or to Upload a new file.
- Enter the Download Limit (optional). Once a user hits this limit, they can no longer download the file.
- Enter the Download Expiry. If you define a number of days, download links expire after that.
- Select the Download Type from the dropdown.
Variable products can also have downloadable variations. When adding a variation tick the Downloadable checkbox and more options appear.
Options work the same as regular products: Set the file path, optionally choose a download limit and expiry, and save.
Combining Downloadable & Virtual Products
If you tick the Downloadable checkboxes, products can have stock and are treated as physical products. This allows you to sell downloads and real products together.
If you want to add/sell a downloadable product that is not physical, also enable the Virtual option.
The ordering process for downloadable products is:
- User adds product to their cart.
- Users checks out and pays.
- After payment, several things can happen depending on your setup:
- If items in the order are all downloadable + virtual, the order is complete.
- If items are physical and downloadable/virtual, the order is processing until you change it.
- Once complete, or if the option “Grant access to downloadable products after payment” is enabled, the user can:
- Be granted download permission
- See download links on the order received page
- See download links in their email notification
- See download links on their ‘My Account’ page if logged in
Users can then download files.
Customer receives an invoice/order confirmation with clickable link to download, if order is processed and paid.
Managing Orders with Downloadable Items
- Go to: Orders and select the order you wish to view or edit.
- Scroll down to the Downloadable Product Permissions meta box, which displays the download and how many times the customer had accessed it.
- Revoke access, grant access to new downloads, or exit order.
Download Logs & Reports
User downloads of downloadable products have unique IDs that are tracked and logged in Reports. More at: Sales Reports.