Orders are created when a customer completes the checkout process, and they are visible in the backend under Orders. Each order is given a unique Order ID.
An order also has a Status. Order statuses let you know how far along the order is, starting with Pending and ending with Completed. The following order statuses are used:
- Pending payment – Order received, no payment initiated. Awaiting payment (unpaid).
- Failed – Payment failed or was declined (unpaid). Note that this status may not show immediately and instead show as Pending until verified.
- Processing – Payment received (paid) and stock has been reduced; order is awaiting fulfilment. All product orders require processing, except those that only contain products which are both Virtual and Downloadable.
- Completed – Order fulfilled and complete – requires no further action.
- On-Hold – Awaiting payment – stock is reduced, but you need to confirm payment.
- Cancelled – Cancelled by yourself or the customer – stock is increased, no further action required.
- Refunded – Refunded by yourself – no further action required.
When you start taking orders, the Orders management page begins to fill up. View these at: Orders.
Each row displays useful details, such as order number and customer name, date of purchase, order status, shipping address, and purchase total.
Should you need more or less information on the Orders page, you can open Screen Options at the top right corner. A panel opens.
Select which Columns and how many Items you want displayed on each page, then Apply.
Filter orders by Date (month/year) or Search for a (registered) Customer.
Arrange orders in ascending or descending order by Order number, Date or Total by clicking the heading.
Click the order number and customer name to see the Single Order page, where you can also Edit order details, Update Status, and Add Notes.
Order rows have a Preview ‘eye’ Icon, clicking it opens a panel containing order number, order status, billing/shipping details, items ordered, payment method, and the option to change/edit order status.
Order Statuses are color-coded and descriptive.
- Cancelled – Grey
- Completed – Blue
- Failed – Red
- On Hold – Orange
- Pending Payment – Grey
- Processing – Green
- Refunded – Grey
Hovering over an order Status displays Notes made on the order.
Editing/Viewing Single Orders
From the Single Order page not only can you view all order data, but also edit and update.
- Change the order status
- Order Actions – Email order details to customer (handy if manually creating an order for your customers) or Regenerate download permissions
- Add notes to either yourself (Private Note) or to the customer.
The Order Data panel lets you modify the order status, view (or change) the customer’s order note, and change which user the order is assigned to.
You can also find customer billing and shipping addresses, along with a link to view other purchases the customer may have had in the past. To edit addresses, click Edit and a form appears. Once saved, the new address is displayed in a localized format.
Note: To edit the order, the status must be set to On Hold or Pending Payment.
The next panel on the order page is the Order Items panel. It lists items in the order, quantities, and prices.
The editable parts of line items include:
- Tax Class – Tax class for the line. This may be adjusted if, for example, the customer is tax exempt.
- Quantity – Number of items the user is purchasing
- Line Subtotal – Line price and line tax before pre-tax discounts
- Line Total – Line price and line tax after pre-tax discounts
- Add Meta – Add and remove meta to change product variable options.
- Sorting – Sort by Item, Cost, Quantity, and Total by clicking on the respective listed items.
Order Totals stores totals and tax for the order. Enter these values yourself or have them partially calculated for you using the ‘calc totals‘ button. Totals comprise:
- Cart Discount – pre-tax discounts. Can be auto-calculated.
- Order Discount – post-tax discounts. Need to be input manually.
- Shipping cost – cost excluding tax
- Shipping method – name of the method
- Cart tax
- Shipping tax
- Order total
- Payment method – name of the payment method used
The Order Notes panel displays notes attached to the order and can be used for storing event details, such as payment results or reducing stock levels, or adding notes to the order for customers to view.
Notes can be a powerful tool for communicating with customers. Need to add a tracking number for shipping? Is stock delayed? Add a customer note, and they are automatically notified.
To send a note to a customer on an order, enter the note, then select: Note to Customer > Add.
The following note types are possible:
- Purple: System status notices, such as payment gateway details.
- Grey: General status updates, such as status changes or private notes. Customers do not see these notes, but may receive notification of them, e.g., When status changes from processing to completed, an email may be sent.
- Blue: Notes to the customer. Customers receive notes via email, but can view them by viewing an order, or using the OnShop order tracking page.
Adding an Order Manually
To add an order:
- Go to: Orders.
- Use Add New at the top of the page. The Single Order page appears.
- Input customer details, add line items, apply coupons, apply fees and calculate totals.
- Set a status for the new order, e.g., If it needs to be paid, use ‘Pending’.
Use the Order Actions dropdown to Email order details to the customer with payment instructions.
NB : Adding an order manually has no effect on stock/inventory. You would need to manually subtract or adjust inventory for those items.
Paying for a Manual Order
Customers can pay for orders assigned to them by logging into the site (if required).